From Guidance Share
I'm currently a Principle Program Manager for the patterns & practices team at Microsoft. The focus of the team is finding and sharing "proven practices for predictable results."
On the technical side, my primary focus on the team is solution architecture, software engineering and quality attributes. I've performed more than 750 architecture and design reviews for customers and use that experience to create customer-facing guidance. In addition to books, I've authored several knowledge base articles, MSDN Magazine articles, and online MSDN articles. As a program manager, I pitch and ship projects from cradle to grave. This includes assembling teams of people, influencing without authority, and making things happen.
On the personal development and effectiveness side, I mentor many fellow softies (a term for Microsoft employees), as well as folks outside the company. I also help coach other teams inside Microsoft on getting results and improving effectiveness. I'm a seeker and tester of proven practices for results. I find, share, and create principles, patterns, and practices across mind, body, emotions, career, financial, relationships, and fun.
My Blogs / Sites
- Sources of Insight.com - A focus on effectiveness.
- Shaping Software.com - A focus on software success.
- J.D. Meier's Blog (MSDN)
- Microsoft Application Architecture Guide, 2nd Edition (ISBN: 978-0735627109)
- patterns & practices Improving Web Services Security
- patterns & practices Team Development with Visual Studio Team Foundation Server (ISBN: 978-0735625716)
- patterns & practices Performance Testing Guidance for Web Applications (ISBN: 978-0735625709)
- patterns & practices Security Engineering Explained
- patterns & practices Improving .NET Application Performance and Scalability (ISBN: 0-7356-1851-8)
- patterns & practices Improving Web Application Security: Threats and Countermeasures (ISBN: 0-7356-1842-9)
- patterns & practices Building Secure ASP.NET Applications (ISBN: 0-7356-1890-9)
My Microsoft Projects
- Created the Application Architecture Guide 2.0.
- Created the Agile Architecture method for rapid application architecture and design.
- Created prescriptive guidance for Web Services and WCF security.
- Created prescriptive guidance for adopting Team Foundation Server.
- Created the patterns & practices Performance Testing approach that works well with both agile and formal software methodologies.
- Created Guidance Explorer - a tool to help developers organize and share the growing body of prescriptive guidance.
- Created an updated Threat Modeling approach specifically for Web applications and agile methodologies.
- Integrated key performance engineering activities into MSF Agile.
- Integrated key security engineering activities into MSF Agile.
- Created the patterns & practices Performance Engineering approach.
- Created the patterns & practices Security Engineering approach.
- Created prescriptive performance guidance for .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0.
- Created prescriptive security guidance for .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5.